So with this entry I’d like to strike at the heart of the countless misconceptions that artists believe are real. What I mean by that is that in our culture when something is said enough times by somebody or the general population, it starts to become true in people’s minds.
There are so many lies that effect artists, especially young ones like myself who are forging their artistic path to success and accomplishment. And none of these have any basis in reality, nor will they make you any more successful in the long run. They are MYTHS, plain and simple. So let’s get to the list of what I believe are the most crippling ideas and beliefs in the world of art.
1. Never use hard edges in your work
2. Use a limited palette of colors when painting so that your paintings are more harmonious.
3. Paint what people like or what is trending, even if you don’t love it
4. Always use the 2/3 rule of composition
5. In order to be successful, you must DOMINATE social media
6. Good artist “make it” a lot quicker than other artists
7. You don’t have to work hard as an artist if you’re really good
8. You don’t have to paint everyday
9. Realism is the “best” style of art. That’s what makes a painting great
10. Never use your colors straight out of the tube
11. Never use pure Titanium white in your art
12. Black doesn’t exist in nature, so DON’T use it!
13. To be truly successful you have to follow pop culture
14. You only become famous after you die!
15. You won’t become rich from selling your art
16. Price for the market
17. Price your work compared to what other artists are selling for
18. Competition is important
19. Once you get into a gallery you are “set” for life!
20. If you build it, they will come
21. There are so many overnight successes and I can be one of them!
22. There are way too many seascape artists
23. There are way too many landscape artists
24. These paintings are BETTER than those ones
25. Palette knife art isn’t as good as brush work
26. The more details in a painting the better it is
27. You can use cheap materials and be taken serious as an artist
28. Artists don’t have to act professional
29. Artists don’t need to look presentable
30. Artists are lazy and rebellious
31. That is just a hobby!
32. Get a real job
And the list goes on an on….
So my point is, don’t let anybody tell you what you should, can, or cannot do. All of these lies are bogus and untrue, yet you will hear them used all the time. I’ve personally heard every single one of these statements uttered in the last year alone.
Good grief! Is it any wonder why so many artists are lost, confused, or depressed?
Success is a journey of faith, hope, persistence, and hard work. You have to believe in yourself and paint what you love in your core. I believe that EVERY artist can be a success if they really want to. It just takes a lot of time, unfortunately, and you can’t rush the process.
There are no quick fixes!
Don’t forget to check out my latest motivation speed painting on Youtube below! Be sure to like and subscribe for future Ryan Kimba beach paintings.
So until next time,
let’s bring some color into the world.